Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bowler Family Holiday Party

December 20, 2008

This year's Bowler Holiday Party was going to be a tougher one - so we thought we'd spice it up with a theme. What better theme these days than the popular "Ugly Holiday Sweater Party"?! At first, I was worried that no one would be interested or participate, but as I talked to people, I realized everyone seemed like they were excited. So, the invites went out and everyone got to work on shopping and/or getting creative with their sweaters.


Unfortunately, you can't just walk into a store and buy a men's XXL holiday sweater - so Aaron and I knew we had a challenge ahead. He hit the jackpot in Marshalls one night when he found these strange huge cardigans - there was cream, red or an obnoxious green ... we went for the obnoxious green. There were letters across the front that read "RESEARCH" that I removed - then we started with a blank slate. We had fun in Michaels looking through all of their Christmas decor, trying to find things we could attach to make it as festive as we could. It took me about 30-40 hours the week before the party to cut and sew new letters on the back, tie the bells on the collar, sew garland on the cuffs and waist, sew on the felt snowman and santa and then get his lights in. It was all worth it - Aaron loved it and can't wait to wear it again - ha! Oh yeah, I had a sweater I worked on too! :)


The sayings on the back were from and for Grandma!

The party was great - it was nice seeing everyone and checking out all of the sweaters. We all had some good laughs, and we all voted for sweater winners for different categories. Santa even stopped by for a visit. We all wish Grandma could have been there, we know she would have loved it, but she was there in spirit. Grandpa's sweater had the most sentimental value - made of all of Grandma's holiday earrings, with Grandma as his Angel.


Family means everything, and it's always nice to get everyone together in one place if only once a year.



No comments: